Water heaters are a vital part of everybody’s household, especially in winters; bathing without a geyser is unimaginable. Choosing between a gas or an electric geyser can be challenging. Both do their job of heating water efficiently. So, the best way to determine which is better, gas or electric, is by looking at their strengths and weaknesses. However, while deciding which one you should buy, consider both geysers’ lifespan, cost, efficiency, performance, working and safety. It is a one-time investment that serves you for years to come, so proper geyser maintenance is needed. For regular maintenance, it is best that expert technicians service or repair your geyser so that it lasts longer.
Gas geysers use Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) or propane for heating water. They provide a constant flow of hot water and consistently heat the water. As a result, they are less power efficient than electric geysers, but they are suitable for large families.
Hot water starts pouring as soon as you turn the tap on and start the flame.
Pros of Gas geyser
- Give instantaneous hot water.
- Suitable for large families.
- They have an easy operation – you have the power to control the level and rate of heating.
- No electricity is required to run it.
- They are easy to repair.
- These are budget-friendly, i.e., inexpensive.
- It can run on both household LPG cylinders and pipeline natural gas.
Cons of Gas geyser
- Complex installation.
- It occupies a lot of space and needs extra space for an LPG cylinder.
- Quite unsafe and can lead to fire and fatalities.
- The bathroom needs to have proper ventilation.
- Releases carbon monoxide and causes pollution, not environment friendly.
- These geysers have a short life.
- Their maintenance is relatively high. You can Download the OneDios app and register your water heater service request today.
- Gas geysers are instant geysers only, and storage models are not available.
- With the increase in gas prices, the cost of gas geysers also increases.
An electric geyser is a water heater that uses an electric current to heat water. Being straightforward, electric geysers have become the preferred choice of use by most of the population. Electric water heaters are the right choice for all kinds of families as they come in various sizes.
When you turn on the electric geyser, the current gets converted into heat energy. Copper wires generate heat with the help of electricity. This, in turn, increases the temperature of the water.
Pros of Electric geyser
- Easy to use.
- It can be easily installed anywhere as only a switch is required.
- They have a longer lifespan than gas geysers.
- Extremely safe as compared to gas geysers.
- It occupies less space.
- They are environmentally friendly and do not release any gases.
- It is energy efficient.
- They are comparatively low maintenance as compared to gas geysers. You can Download the OneDios app and register your water heater service request today.
- These offer up to 80% greater efficiency than gas geysers.
- They are easy to repair.
- These are made with highly durable and heat-safe materials.
Cons of Electric geyser
- It needs electricity to run and will not work during a power outage.
- There is a possibility of a short circuit, which can be dangerous.
- They are expensive compared to gas geysers.
- It takes a little more time to heat water than a gas geyser.
Gas geysers are not recommended as they pose a significant safety risk. This is the reason very few brands manufacture gas geysers. Electric geysers are the clear winner in terms of safety. It is because if an electric geyser gets damaged, it might short circuit. However, if there’s a leak in the gas geyser, it might lead to an explosion. If you are facing water heater leakage issues at your home or looking forward to buying an AMC plan for your Geyser, you can download the OneDios app and raise a service request today.
Gas geysers are less efficient as the storage tank walls lose heat. They use power continuously to keep the water constantly hot. Gas geysers have an energy efficiency of as high as 85%. This means that even though 15% of heat is lost, 85% is still utilized to heat the water. The electric geysers are nearly 100% efficient since all the heat is used for heating water.
A gas geyser can heat 50 litres of water in almost an hour and to reheat the same amount of water again after use is even lesser. Even if the power is out, the gas geyser will still work. For electric geysers, heating time is defined so you may count on hot water when necessary. With electric geysers, extra ventilation is not required.
Cost and Lifespan
Gas geysers are pocket-friendly, but electric geysers last longer than gas geysers. Electric geysers may be more expensive than gas geysers, but they need less maintenance.
Gas geysers harm the environment by releasing toxic gases like carbon monoxide. Electric geysers are the safest option.
Electric geysers are usually wall-mounted, so they occupy comparatively less space. Gas geysers are large and require a lot of space. Additionally, they also need space for keeping the LPG cylinder.
The safety, durability and reliability of electric geysers are the highest. Its user-friendly operation and long lifespan make it a superior option to gas geysers. A gas geyser needs proper space and ventilation, while an electric geyser can be installed easily in any bathroom. Both geysers require maintenance, but electric geysers need little. A gas geyser is fast and can heat a large amount of water in no time, so a gas geyser might be suitable for a large family of adults. An electric geyser is safest and preferrable with a small family and kids.
Regular geyser service is crucial to prevent corrosion and increase lifespan. Getting your water heater serviced every six months leads to efficient heating, significant savings, and improved durability. OneDios is a one-stop shop for all your Geyser-related issues and queries. We aim to offer the best facility for repair, fitting, and Geyser service work. OneDios makes it simple for the consumer to avail of the post-sales services without difficulties. By uploading a picture, you can now use the OneDios app to register your product and digitally keep all your documents, like invoices and warranty cards. OneDios also keeps track of your recent Geyser service and replacement of any part. You can buy an extended warranty and AMCs for all Geyser brands like Racold, V-Guard, AO Smith, Kenstar, Havells, etc.