Energy-efficient homes mean using less energy to do the same jobs, reducing energy waste, and saving money. With climate change affecting people across the globe, energy conservation is no more a choice but a must for all. When your home uses excess energy to power electronic appliances, light bulbs, heaters, etc., it not only adds to your utility bill but also causes pollution and harms the environment. To make our environment green, we need to reduce our carbon footprint, and there is no better place to start than our homes. We need to consider future generations and adopt sustainable ways to live.
Energy-efficient homes conserve energy and reduce unnecessary energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, and demand for non-renewable resources. To effectively make your home energy efficient, you need to be aware of how energy is used, where it’s wasted, and how it can be used more effectively and efficiently in everyday life. Let’s all be smart and consciously start implementing sustainable and energy-efficient home changes. Not only will you save money on your energy bills, but you’ll also make your home more comfortable all year round. OneDios aims to offer a top-class professional facility for repair, fitting, and air purifier service. OneDios app makes it simple for the consumer to avail of the post-sales services without difficulties.
You can improve air quality, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and save money by making a few easy changes.
- Replace your light bulbs with LEDs or CFLs. Compact fluorescents (CFLs) not only use less than two-thirds of the energy required by standard bulbs but also last 10 times longer. Although LED bulbs cost more at purchase, the upside is they last long and have options available that are enabled for Alexa and Google Assistant. LEDs last 25 times longer than regular ones, saving you the expense of buying more; they also consume 75 percent less energy.
- Switch OFF unnecessary appliances. Many electrical appliances are plugged in with their switches on. Appliances use energy even on standby mode; switching them off is the easiest way to reduce energy consumption and electricity bills. Also, unplug battery chargers when they aren’t in use.
- Buy energy-efficient appliances. An energy-efficient air-conditioner utilises 30-40 percent less electricity than a standard air-conditioner used for the same time. An inefficient refrigerator can increase the annual electricity bill of a household by as much as Rs 4,000-5,000 in some cases. So, a consumer needs to choose appliances with a five-star rating. Energy Star-qualified appliances use 10-50% less energy than standard appliances and help reduce emissions of greenhouse gases.
- Air seal your home. Seal cracks, gaps, leaks, and joints in the ductwork, windows, and doors to ensure cold or hot air doesn’t escape your home. With an airtight seal, you can save energy when heating and cooling your home. Sealing gaps and cracks is an easy and inexpensive way to lower energy costs.
- Use cold water for washing purposes. For laundry and dishwashing, try using cold water whenever possible to save significant energy.
- Lower the thermostat settings. Setting your thermostat to a lower temperature than usual will not cool your home faster. The best practice is to set the temperature at around 24 degrees. Set your water heater temperature around 50 degrees; it saves energy and you from getting burnt with hot water.
- Install solar panels. The renewable, free energy source is clean as it doesn’t emit any greenhouse gases and is cost-effective. Solar panels may be an excellent investment if you can afford them. They’re becoming popular to heat hot water and generate electricity for homes. Panels are installed on rooftops, and they help cut down on your electricity costs because it allows you to produce your own electricity. Once installed, they last a lifetime without needing repair or replacement.
- Try using a ceiling fan instead of an air conditioner whenever possible.
- Cook smartly. An enormous amount of energy is wasted while cooking. Instead of a stove or oven, try using a microwave, toaster, slow cooker, pressure cooker, air fryer, etc., as they are quicker and use significantly less energy. While using ovens, try not to open the door as the temperature drops, and the oven has to overcompensate to raise the temperature back. Using lids on pots and pans will heat food more quickly.
- Save water. Be conscious of running water while brushing your teeth or shaving. Avoid running half-loads of laundry in your washer. Install low-flow showerheads and shorten your shower time to improve your home’s water efficiency. Use the waste filter water for dishwashing, laundry or car washing. Recycle water and use rainwater whenever possible.
- Get your appliances serviced regularly. Annual service and proper maintenance of all appliances like AC, refrigerator, washing machine, and dishwasher are essential to increase efficiency and save money on repairs. Timely repairs help in reducing energy consumption as inefficient appliances have to work harder to give the desired output. OneDios app is a one-stop shop for all appliance service or AMC-related issues and queries without having to call various people or seek phone numbers.
- Install a smart thermostat and automate your lighting. A smart thermostat can reduce your heating and cooling costs by up to 15 per cent. It works by learning your habits and adjusting the temperature automatically. For lights, install dimmer switches and motion sensors that turn off when you leave the room.
- Schedule an energy efficiency audit. Service providers offer home energy efficiency audits. These providers are equipped with specialized tools and skills which help them evaluate your home’s energy efficiency and determine where efficiency can be improved by recommending some low-cost measures. If you’re concerned about the energy consumption in your home, don’t hesitate to contact OneDios today, and we’ll be happy to answer any of your questions.
By following these simple steps, you can also make your home energy efficient. You can make a few changes now and then and work towards it. You can download the OneDios app and book your appliance service for an extended warranty or service in a few seconds.
If you feel that your appliance service is due, download the “OneDios” app and generate a service request in a few clicks. You can also buy the extended warranty and AMCs for all brands like Bosch, LG, Voltas, Daikin, Hitachi, etc.
You can raise a service request in a few clicks without calling customer care, Samsung service center, LG service center, etc. OneDios app is a one-stop shop for all your services, complaints against repair, and extended warranty requests. Download the OneDios app and upload the details of your appliances today. It even logs when you last got your oven serviced and parts replaced. OneDios will also help keep track of your previous services, and you can fix your appliance’s next service in advance. OneDios now also covers over 1350 postcodes in India.