The concept of dishwashers in India is relatively new, as major households either have maids or they do the job themselves. So, the question arises whether it is an intelligent decision to invest in a dishwasher. Recently, in the pandemic, the use of dishwashers as a necessity came into being.
Dishwashers are helpful appliances which are easy to use, save time and hassle and are worth buying. Some consider them as a luxury or unrequired appliance as it takes up a lot of space and costs a pretty penny.
Let’s look at some of the pros and cons of having a dishwasher before deciding whether to buy it or not.
Pros of a Dishwasher
- Saves Time: These days, most households are nuclear or have small families. Most of the members are working or generally on the go. For such families, washing utensils kills their valuable family time. In large families with many utensils, a dishwasher is a must-have. You have to set the dishes in the dishwasher, select the wash cycle and let it do its job. Time-saving is one of the most significant advantages of a dishwasher.
- Convenient to Use: Once you have learnt your way around the dishwasher, it is simpler than standing and cleaning the dishes manually. You must load your dishes, select a program, add the detergent, and then let the dishwasher do all the work.
- Saves Water, Electricity and Money: A dishwasher reduces your water consumption by almost ten times compared to washing dishes by hand. Cleaning dishes in the sink can use up to 102 litres per load, while an Energy Star certified dishwasher can use as little as 11 litres per load. A dishwasher might feel like a big investment, but it is cheaper in the long run. It would last long and save water, electricity and domestic help costs once installed!
- Effective Cleaning: In Indian households, the utensils have varied kinds of stains at any time, like oil stains, masala stains, burnt food, etc. it takes hours to scrub the grease and grime off the dishes manually. The dishwasher has several wash programmes to choose from and can easily reach the inaccessible parts of dirty dishes. They come with unique features like “steam gloss”, which claims to leave your utensils shinier and brighter.
- Disinfected dishes: Dishwashers wash utensils with hot water and are ideal for deep cleaning. Hot water is more efficient in getting rid of bacteria than cold water. So, a dishwasher doesn’t just ensure cleanliness but disinfects and maintains hygiene.
- Utensil Friendly: In dishwashers, your expensive crockery is safe. No more cracked, chipped or broken glasses by banging or slipping while washing by hand. Sponges and scrubbers microdamage the dishes, reducing their lifespan. Since the dishwasher only uses jets of water, it does not damage the coating of your plates, kadhais which can be very “sensitive”.
- No Noise: The sound of banging pots and utensils is unpleasant. All modern dishwashers are very quiet and make minimal noise like a fan. You can easily put dishes for cleaning at night when everyone is sleeping.
- Easy Installation and Maintenance: Installing a dishwasher is as simple as installing a washing machine. You can always follow the instructions and set up the dishwasher yourself, but if you are inexperienced, but it is better to call professionals. We at OneDios, provide all kinds of services from dishwasher installation, maintenance and after-service of the appliance of all major brands.
Cons of a Dishwasher
- Costly: Dishwashers can be expensive, especially if you want to buy one with many features. Dishwashers require some expenses. In India, the water is hard, so you have to spend on water softeners/detergents/liquids/salt/rinse aid etc. The same dish soap used manually cannot be used here.
- Need Space: Dishwashers take up much space just like washing machines. However, some dishwashers are relatively small compared to other models. They can fit in your tiny kitchen, but their efficiency is not up to the mark.
- Consume Energy: Even though dishwashers are energy star certified, your electricity bills will be higher. But you will save a decent amount of money on your water bills. Since there is a group of dishwashing machines that have a class A rating for energy consumption, such devices have very low energy consumption making them very efficient.
- Require some Manual work: It is necessary to fill the dishwasher to get it started and empty it once it has done the job. Some dishwashers demand a pre-wash, which requires washing the utensils in water before placing them in the machine.
- Not meant for all kinds of utensils: Utensils made of aluminum, wood, silver, tin and brass utensils cannot be washed in the dishwasher.
- Need repairs from time to time: Dishwashers need timely upkeep and repairs like many other electronic devices. These repairs cost additional money and require you to spend time waiting for the technician or Customer care services to do the necessary upkeep. Therefore, call for dishwasher service at regular intervals. OneDios app is a one-stop-shop for all your service or AMC-related issues and queries without having to call various people or seek phone numbers.
- Regular cleaning: Every dishwasher has filters which need to be washed and changed from time to time. Having your dishwasher checked at least once a year is essential to prevent or predict problems before they happen. OneDios provides you services in just 60 seconds. No need to call customer service of any brand; download the OneDios app and raise a dishwasher service request in a few clicks.
Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages of having a dishwasher, you can decide whether you need it or not. The benefits of having a dishwasher are more than not having one. It saves your time and water bills, does not make much noise and expands the lifespan of your dishes. If you live in a big family, you should buy one as soon as possible.
Several brands, like Bosch, LG, Voltas, IFB, etc., are available in the market. Our experts at OneDios can help you decide which dishwasher you should buy. Depending on your family size and the type of lifestyle, you can buy a tabletop dishwasher or portable dishwasher or the traditional built-in design. OneDios provides installation services and can help you set up your dishwasher in no time.
If purchased smartly, the dishwasher’s monthly cost is way less than the savings you will make in the long term. OneDios aims to offer a top-class professional facility for repair, installation, and service work. OneDios app makes it simple for the consumer to avail of the post-sales services without difficulties. It also keeps track of your dishwasher service in the past and if any part was replaced. At OneDios, you can also schedule the next dishwasher service in advance. OneDios now covers over 1350+ cities in India.